American Mothers is an organization dedicated to honoring, educating and serving mothers at home, at work and in the world. Though it officially began in 1935 its roots go all the way to the Civil War when Anna Reeves Jarvis sought to heal the wounds created by the conflict by gathering mothers from both sides to forge bonds of friendship and love. The values of American Mothers include:
- An abiding respect for mothers and their role in society.
- A desire for collaboration between mothers in service for the common good.
- A heart of compassion for issues and challenges facing mothers around the globe.
- An acknowledgement of diversity among mothers and their individual choices.
- A recognition of the power of a mother’s inner strength.
- A commitment to honor mothers for their leadership and service at home, at work and in the world.
While there are thousands of organizations that support women there are very few that support and honor just mothers. By virtue of its name you know American Mothers not only honors mothers but also honors the choice of motherhood. I love that!
Every year American Mothers choses a Mother of the Year and a Young Mother of the Year to represent each state. From those a national representative is chosen. Nominations will close next Saturday, November 15th so if you know a wonderful mother that you would like to nominate please do so here! It is an amazing and humbling experience to be nominated.
In celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Mother’s Day, its FREE to join American Mothers this year! You can register to join here. Please let other mothers you know and admire about this great opportunity!