This past month or so I have realized I need to focus more on my family and home. Even as we face new adventures with the older ones leaving the nest for college or getting married it’s time to reassess and refocus. There will be a lot of organizing this year as a result of the addition to our home being completed. There is clutter and just plain too much stuff that we need to get rid of or donate.
I need to be more diligent in staying on task, on making our home a haven, and a place where others will feel welcome.
Recently in my studying I came upon this quote by Bruce C. Hafen, “Our two most sacred buildings are the temple and the home. A family dinner table, surrounded by parents and children who share their laughter and their lives, is a sacred setting—not just a place setting. Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven, and that kingdom is, first of all, in your home. “Home-work” is the Lord’s work.” I love that imagery! How often have I stopped to look at my family seated around the dinner table and just soaked up the laughter and love? I tell you not often enough.
My goals having to do with HOME this year are:
- decluttering so it feels less stressful – too much stuff can bring stress!
- simplifying routines but sticking to them – so our days run more smoothly and efficiently
- choosing a stucco color for the final coat of stucco in the spring – to beautify the outside of our home
- reading more books out loud as a family – to relax easier in the evening
- sharing more family history stories – to create a deeper sense of belonging
- memorizing scriptures and quotes from church leaders – so the gift of redeeming words becomes embedded in our hearts and minds
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High. (D&C 88:119-120)
To help me in this process I’ll be bringing back the Establish a House series. I have missed it! I have missed the contributions and wonderful ideas of others and how they are making their homes a special place for their families.
More about that tomorrow….
P.S. Don’t you just love the drawing of our family that Brownie made for me? She was scrolling though my instagram and saw the lovely ones posted by @hellolovelypeople_. It pays to have an artist in residence!