Soft Onion Breadsticks (from Taste of Home)
* 3/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
* 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
* 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 2 eggs
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
* 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons cold water
* 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
* 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
* In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, 1 egg, sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
* Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
* Punch dough down. Let stand for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
* Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle half with sesame seeds and half with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 16-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.